Knights of Columbus Scholarship Program Continues for 2024
The Knights of Columbus of St. Michael’s of Poplar Springs Council are pleased to announce the 28th year of our Scholarship Program. Since its inception, the Scholarship Program has provided over $77,000 to 90 recipients. For the year 2024, six scholarship grants are available to assist Catholic students attend college.
- One grant of $1,000 is provided by our local Knights of Columbus Council.
- A second grant of $1,000, the Marie & Mel Mied Scholarship, is provided through the generosity of the late Mieds.
- A third grant of $1,000, the Pauline Henderson Memorial Scholarship, is provided through the generosity of Mr. Earl Henderson.
- For the fourth year, the Jon J. Shaw Memorial Scholarship is generously provided by Mrs. Molly Shaw.
- Another grant is provided by Mrs. Jennifer Vauk in memory of Lt. Cmdr. Ronald James Vauk, who died on 9/11/2001 while working at the Pentagon.
- A sixth grant is provided through the generosity of Mr. Jonathan Venskus.
These grants are made available through the continuing efforts of St. Michael’s Knights of Columbus Council #10525. Our Scholarship Program is supported by our Knights of Columbus scholarship fundraisers, and by tax-deductible donations from individuals. If you would like to donate to the scholarship program – either to enhance an existing fund or to establish a new scholarship – please contact Martin Luchansky at 301-829-0269. Every amount is significant.
To qualify for a scholarship, an applicant must:
- be Catholic; attend the future April meeting for distributing the grants.
- be registered (perhaps through your family) at St. Michael Church in Mt. Airy. (You may be registered at another parish if your father is a member of Council #10525).
- be a high school senior planning acceptance by an accredited college or university for enrollment in a program leading toward a bachelor’s degree. (Your plan for a bachelor’s degree may include community college).
- provide completed application forms plus transcripts and test scores to the chairman by the submission deadline.
The criteria for selection as a scholarship winner are the applicant’s personal qualifications and leadership as demonstrated by his or her academic record and participation in extra-curricular church, school, and community activities. An interview may be required. Questions should be addressed to Martin Luchansky at 301-829-0269.
The deadline for receipt of completed applications is Monday, March 4, 2024, at 4:30 p.m. For application materials and instructions, applicants should contact Martin Luchansky at 301-829-0269, or email be sure to include your name, address, phone number, school you currently attend, and an email address where we may contact you.
We truly appreciate our St. Michael Parish’s support of our scholarship program. We count on you! Come play golf with us! Watch for announcements about our golf tournament in the fall. A great deal … with a great deal of fun… for a great program supporting our young adults!